How to Choose the Best Steam Mop
Are you looking for steam mop reviews and ratings? Well, you’ve come to the right place. On this site, you’ll find unbiased reviews of the best steam mops and steam cleaners on the market, as well as a number of guides and tips on buying and using them.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Steam Mop
In recent years, the use of steam mops has dramatically increased in popularity. The ability of these mops to clean floors without harmful chemicals has made them a must have cleaning product in many homes. Their versatility also makes them a great option for many hard to clean areas of your home. However, with so many options to choose from, how do you know which type will best fit your needs?
Before deciding to purchase the first floor steamer you see advertised, there are many things you should take into consideration.
- Weight – Consider the weight of the steam mop you’re looking to purchase. Some mops have a larger water reservoir which makes it heavier, and possibly more difficult to handle. The benefit to a larger reservoir is that large cleaning jobs can be done quickly without stopping to refill your tank multiple times. On the other hand, a steam mop with a smaller reservoir will be easier to handle and move to different locations in your home. If you have mobility problems, you will benefit most from a light weight steam mop that can be moved easily.
- Size and Type of Mop Head – Steam mops with smaller, sleeker mop heads are more maneuverable and can fit through tighter spaces more easily than one with a larger mop head. Also, some come with a swiveling mop head. This feature makes it much easier to maneuver around furniture and appliances when cleaning. If moving around furniture easily is important to you, you will definitely want to buy one that has this feature.
- Type of Mop Head Cover – You need to decide if you want a steam mop that uses disposable or reusable mop head covers. Although disposable mop heads tend to be quicker and easier, the reusable ones are more cost effective and better for the environment.
- Attachments – Decide whether or not you want a floor steamer that comes with additional attachments. Steam mops offer a variety of options; they are not all used just for cleaning floors. Some common attachments include a tool for window cleaning, garment steaming, dusting, removing lint from clothing, upholstery cleaning tools, and other small attachments for hard to reach areas. Additionally, some varieties of steam mops can be simply transformed into a hand held steamer. This can be used to sanitize many areas of your home such as kitchen countertops, sinks, bathrooms, and most other hard to clean areas.
- Indicator Lights – One of the most convenient features is the indicator light that comes on when the water is at the appropriate temperature. It also has an area on the display to tell you if your steam mop is overheating. This is an excellent feature because it eliminates the guesswork. You are not left wondering if the water is hot enough to clean and sanitize your home properly (according to consumer reports, a steam mop should produce steam that is at least 200 degrees F).
- Frequency of Use – Consider how often you will actually use your steam mop. If you think you will use your steam mop often, you’ll want to make sure to purchase a heavy duty mop that will withstand a lot of use. However, if you plan to use the mop infrequently, you can get away with a less expensive model that will still last you several years.
- Brand – Different people want different things out of their cleaning products. Some would rather spend less money on a decent product, while others feel more comfortable spending more on a brand they love. If you have a certain brand you tend to stick with on a regular basis, you’ll want to research the floor steamers that are offered by that company.
When purchasing a steam mop, you don’t want to buy too much or too little. Some steam mops are designed to clean primarily hard surface floors, while others come with many different attachments that essentially turns it into a multi-functional steam cleaner. The only disadvantage of steam cleaners is that they’re not ideal for cleaning carpets and rugs. For that, you’ll need a carpet cleaner. So before you purchase a steam mop/cleaner, be sure to take a look at the different models out there to make sure it meets your specific cleaning needs.
Benefits: Five Reasons Why You Should Buy a Steam Mop
Since steam mops are more expensive than a traditional mop, you may be wondering if the cost is worth it. Although a traditional mop only costs a few dollars, there are several benefits to purchasing a steam mop.
- Safe for You and Your Family – Because they use only water to clean your floors, they are safe for the environment, pets, and your family. You eliminate the need for harsh chemicals and cleaning products, yet your floors will still be clean and sanitized.
- More Effective Than a Traditional Mop – A steam mop will actually clean more effectively than a traditional mop. In addition to removing dirt and stains from your floor, a steam mop will also remove dust mites, bacteria and other allergens.
- Safe for All Cleaning Surfaces – Steam mops are safe for almost all cleaning surfaces, including hardwood floors and laminate flooring. Traditional mops may leave excess water on the floor that will warp the floors and possibly ruin them.
- Easy to Use – For individuals with back problems, the use of a floor steam cleaner will reduce the amount of strain placed on your back muscles. Many steam mops also have long handles that will allow you to remain upright while getting your floors spotlessly clean.
- Save Space – Steam mops require very little space. With a traditional mop, you have to find room to store the mop, a mop bucket, and several different cleaners. When switching to a steam mop, you only need enough storage space for the mop.
Making the switch from a traditional mop to a floor steamer may be a difficult decision. There are so many different options available, and you want to ensure that you are getting a quality product. Before making your purchase, it is important to consider what you’re looking for in a steam mop. Once you know what you need, take the time to research some popular steam mops until you find one that you will be happy with.
2016’s Top 4 Best Steam Mops
The Bissell Symphony 1543A was designed for multitasking. Instead of sweeping your floors to remove dry debris and then mopping or steaming, you can do these tasks at the same time. You have the option of turning the steam off and using it as a lightweight vacuum, or you can turn the steam on to eliminate germs while cleaning and shining your floor.
What do you get when you take the best features of all of the top steam mops currently on the market and combine them into one cleaning machine? You get one of the best and most popular steam mops ever made by Haan, the Haan SI-70 Multi. This unit is great for cleaning your entire home or for very light cleaning jobs, as it can be easily converted into a handheld steam cleaner.
The Oreck Steam-It is one of the most versatile and best all-around steam mops on the market, as it can be used to not only clean floors but areas above the counter as well. It comes with a number of different attachments that allow the user to transform the steam mop into a hand-held steam cleaner.
The Bissell PowerFresh is a fairly basic, but very easy-to-use steam mop. It weighs less than eight pounds without water and takes just minutes to assemble for usage. Anyone can figure out how to snap it together, fill it up with water and get it steaming without spending hours reading the user’s manual.